Tuesday, January 8, 2013

TWD & BWJ: Pizza with Onion Confit

Our first outing for 2013 is Pizza with Onion Confit, a yummy way to start the new year. While I have had mixed results with the sweet recipes from Baking with Julia, I have always enjoyed the breads and my efforts have usually been rewarded with success.

I will let this week's host, Paul describe the process in more detail. He will also post the recipe if you want to try it. I will just say that the recipe uses common ingredients. Even though it is time consuming, each step is very easy. I did have some problem with the stickiness of the dough. I added about an extra 1/4 cup of flour, but I didn't want to add too much. In the end, I made one pizza. I then made four smaller calzones filled with tomato paste, cheese, olives and onion confit. I found folding over the dough made it easier to place on the pizza stone. It's probably time to invest in a pizza peel.



7 comments:

  1. Your pizza dough puffed up so nicely. Well done!
    I don't have a peel either. Instead I rolled the dough out on a piece of parchment and used the bottom of a round baking sheet to help put it on the pizza stone. Seemed to work okay. I'd love a peel, just not sure how often I'd use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your solution sounds good. Trying to get the dough on the pizza stone was quite a challenge. The thing about getting a peel is I'm not sure where I have room to keep it.

      Delete
  2. I use parchment paper for everything -- use and toss! It worked great for my pizza. Great post, thanks! Catherine www.praycookblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pizza looks great and the calzones sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of the calzones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We enjoyed this as well. Calzones sound great! I had trouble getting the pizza to the stone. I used my large cake spatula dusted with semolina. Unfortunately the problem was with the dough sticking to my pastry board. Next time I'll use parchment!

    ReplyDelete