Monday, January 1, 2018

Cinnamon Rolls

May, 2013.  Food Network magazine features cinnamon rolls on the cover. Yum. January 1st, 2018. I have finally made said rolls and they are indeed, fluffy and delicious. The recipe is here.  What took me so long?  

For years I have had a plan to test different recipes for cinnamon rolls, sticky rolls, pecan rolls, or any roll that is falls into the sweet and sticky breakfast category. I still have the Bon Appetit April 2012 issue that also features sweet rolls on the cover.  And I will make those rolls too, eventually. 

I have taken so long to make the cinnamon rolls because I keep planning on also losing weight, but there is a contradiction in dieting and baking caloric sweets. Not that it can't be done.  And this particular recipe, while easy to execute, requires three rises, one of which is rather lengthy. Thus, I had to find a time when I was feeling both indulgent and planned enough in advance that I could finish what I started. 

No special equipment or ingredients are needed; just time. Whatever variations I made to the original recipe were not the result of any particular expertise on my part. I used half and half in place of whole milk, because we only use 2% milk. Ironically, the 2% has more fat than the half and half. Because of carelessness on my part, I didn't roll the sweet dough out as much as the recipe calls for and I cut way back on the amount of butter listed to spread on the dough.  I am happy to report that none of these adjustments hurt the outcome. Would the rolls have turned out better if I had followed the instructions 100%. Probably. But no matter, they were still really good. 

One advantage of this recipe is that it starts with a sweet dough, which can then be made into any number of finished cakes or rolls. The May, 2013 index lists the links to the relevant recipes which include Mexican Chocolate Loaf, Poppy Seed-Lemon Twists and others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment