Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sweet and Spicy Peanut Soup

You can always count on an Ellie Krieger recipe to be healthy. In fact, her cookbooks have the nutritional breakdown of each recipe which is a bonus. This is especially helpful when I have spent the morning celebrating the Bar Mitzvah of a friend and the feast after the services was just too tempting. My husband insists that calories consumed on the Shabbat, the Sabbath, don't count. I'll hedge my bets on that one.

So, after a morning of indulging, I went easy in the evening. I made Sweet and Spicy Soup, also known as Nutty Sweet Potato Soup.  The recipe can be found in The Food You Crave (p. 77) or here.  It's a lovely, filling, but mildly flavored soup. Maybe the ginger I added was beyond it's freshest and fullest flavor. Next time, I'll use fresher ginger.
I don't always add garnishes to soups, but I would recommend adding the scallions at the end. They added a lovely crunch and piquancy that enhanced the soup. 

This week is I Heart Cooking Clubs' monthly pot luck. Which means, if you go here, you will find a treasure of different recipes and blogs.

8 comments:

  1. I love sweet potatoes but I've never tried sweet potato soup. It looks and sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegetable soups are the best; you can eat and drink your vegetables. I love adding green onion as garnish as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one tagged to make--it looks so soothing and good--making a note of adding more fresh ginger. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bowl of soup! And yes, with the scallions, I would add a large spoonful of it, as I love scallions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty soup and I do like the scallion topping! A perfect and light, but satisfying soother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this ages ago and loved it. Thanks for reminding me how good it is. Yours looks so good.

    ReplyDelete